On Wednesday afternoon, a select group of Grade 6 & 7 students traveled to Southridge School, in Surrey, to compete in the British Columbia championships of the Kids Literature Quiz Tournament. The Kids’ Lit Quiz is annual literature competition for children aged 10 to 13, celebrating keen readers and giving them an opportunity to compete in a team and on the world stage the way that many of their sports oriented friends may experience. The quiz has heats in New Zealand, the United Kingdom, South Africa, Canada, USA, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia, winning teams qualify for national and world finals.
St. George’s Junior School entered two teams in the competition. After six rounds, competing amongst ten teams, our boys finished in second and third place. Pretty amazing, considering we didn’t really even know what to expect prior to going!
Check out some pictures of the event below:
Also if you’re keen to try this out yourself, click on this link to head the KLQ page of practice questions, including questions asked at previous World Finals. Mr. Weber also up some questions based on some of the popular books in our library at Saints. How many of the answers do you know?
1.In the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, which number is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?
2. In Amulet Book #1: The Stonekeeper, Emily & Navin enlist the help of a small, mechanical animal named Miskit. What kind of animal was Miskit?
3. In the His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman, what are the three apparati which are also the names of the three books?
4. C.H.E.R.U.B. is an undercover operation of children and teenaged spies. What does this acronym stand for?
5. Which Tintin book has come under criticism for having a racist tone?
6. In Erin Hunter’s series “Warriors”, the stories revolve around tribes of cats. In her series “Seekers”, the characters are bears. What animals are central to her “Survivors” series?
7. Geronimo Stilton is a talking mouse journalist. In which language were the Geronimo Stilton books originally published?
8. In Raina Telgemeier’s graphic novel Smile, what major natural disaster strikes during the book?
9. What are the Hardy Boys’ first names?
10. Who is the Lord of the Mountains of Rain & Night, who is gathering his forces for an attack on the Kingdom in the first Ranger’s Apprentice novel, The Ruins of Gorlan?